Saturday, January 16, 2010

Deceptively Delicious

OK.. I need to eat more vegetables. My children like veggies way more than me, but they could always eat more too. I borrowed Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, "Deceptively Delicious" from my friend Karly. The idea is to puree veggies and then mix them into recipes so no one will know that what they are eating is filled with a vegetable. Here was my shopping list: 3 sweet potatoes, 3 squash, 1 butternut squash, 1 head of cauliflower, 1 head of broccoli, 3 guacamole's. I spent about 3, yes THREE, hours cooking, baking, steaming and pureeing all of these vegetables. It took so long and had better be worth it! Some proof my children love veggies more than me... Jackson was actually eating uncooked cauliflower while I was cutting it up to put in the steamer. It wasn't even covered in ranch! Anyways, I wanted to do some carrots and bananas too, but couldn't take it anymore after that long. I'll just stick to recipes that have what I've pureed so far. I figure if it's a success, we'll be healthier for it. If it's not, Brady will have lots of fresh, pureed food to eat. I put all of the purees into freezer Ziploc bags. I put a few into the fridge for recipes this week and the rest in the freezer for future use. I'll be blogging about what I cook and how it turns out... so stay tuned.

By the way, I'm going to be doing an entire re-branding of this blog. I'm expanding it to include stuff about my cooking experiments, training for the half-marathon and whatever else is going on. I know you're all really excited about that. :)

1 comment:

Karly said...

It's the same with us, our kids like vegetables, but we don't. You'll have to let me know which purees you like the best.